Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Make your own detergent y'all

So the first time I was laid off I started getting into DIY projects as I was broke and bored. I came across this website Being Creative to Keep my Sanity and a recipe for homemade laundry soap.

My mother and I split the cost and I gave her half of the recipe. The recipe makes 2 gallons.  I finally am through using the laundry detergent and wanted to share the results.

Cost: $10.00
Size: 1 gallon
Duration of Use: 1 year, 5 months
# of Loads: 217
# of loads a week: 3
Cost per load: .04608295

Just bought new supplies at Market Basket today and the oxy clean had a 1.50 off coupon on it and plus the 4% discount on all groceries right now a two gallon batch will cost you 16.86. I will be doing a new batch this weekend! I would say this experiment was a success.


I know some people might say why bother making your own laundry detergent, but when you are on a tight budget this worked out much better. imagine how much money you spend on a bottle of laundry detergent and how many you buy in a year and 5 months.  I bet you spend more than 10 bucks.

Plus this doesn't have any additives in it, so you can use it in an HE washer (which is what I have). In fact my father was concerned there was something wrong with it because it didn't get all soapy in the laundry.  I add tea tree oil to the wash when I do my bedding and a little grapefruit oil when I do my clothes just to give my clothes a nice scent.

Anyhow just wanted to share my experiment results with my readers.

1 comments :

J Graham said...

Wow, that's crazy cheap! Very clever idea, I didn't even know it was possible to make your own.

Though if I'm gonna get off my lazy butt and make a recipe it's probably gonna be more like brownies than detergent. :)

--Crabby

Post a Comment